Oral health, nutrition, and health
Published: April 22, 2022
Your teeth are of significant importance to your health.
Damage to these necessary tools for chewing food and initiating digestion of nutrients can negatively affect your health.
Good oral hygiene, regular dental check-ups are a must. Good nutrition is also essential for the development and maintenance of oral and dental health.
Teeth are composed of 4 parts:
- Dentin: calcified tissue consisting of hydroxylaptite, a mineral, organic material, and water. Its yellow hue influences the colour of your teeth, is sensitive, and forms throughout life.
- Pulp: is composed of connective tissues and odontoblasts (cells), and is also referred to as endodentium
- Cementum: calcified tissue which forms part of the periodontum and covers the tooth root
- Enamel: is composed of minerals, water, and organic material, is the hardest tissue in your body, and covers the crown of a tooth over dentin
Central to tooth formation is a mineralized protein (collagen) matrix dentin which surrounds the pulp. Cementum and enamel form the outer covering of the crown and root of the tooth.
Tooth development begins between the 2nd and 3rd month of fetal development.
Mineralization begins at about 4 months of age and continues throughout life for enamel development and tooth strength.
Good nutrition with adequate vitamins and minerals is necessary for optimal development of teeth and maintenance.
For instance, the protein collagen requires vitamin C for synthesis, and vitamin D, calcium, and phosphorus work together to deposit hydroxylapatite crystals on the protein matrix.
Fluoride confers resistance to caries during pre and post natal development. However, poor nutrition may contribute to dental and oral disorders such as:
- Dental caries...click here to learn more about dental health
Login or Signup Now for the rest of this article
Related TopicsDiet Health Food Choices Nutrients Carbohydrates Your Body
Whitney, E. & Rady Rolfes, S. (2005). Understanding Nutrition. Belmont, CA: Thomson Wadsworth
Thrahms, C, Nutrition during infancy Nutrition in childhood. In Mann. K. & Escott-Stump, S. (Eds.)(2004). Krause's Food, Nutrition & Diet Therapy. (11th Ed.) Elsevier
Lucas, BL, Touger-Decker, R. Nutrition for oral and dental health. In Mann. K. & Escott-Stump, S. (Eds.)(2004). Krause's Food, Nutrition & Diet Therapy. (11th Ed.) Elsevier