Protein: Categories and Functions
Published: January 20, 2017
Proteins consist of sequences of amino acids to which other substances may be attached. Your body can synthesise many amino acids, but some amino acids can only be obtained from dietary protein. These are known as essential amino acids.
- Hydrolases split or sever substrates
- Isomerases move atoms from one part of molecule to another part of the same molecule
- Ligases or synthases join substrates together
- Oxidoreductases move electrons between molecules and within molecules
- Transferases move functional groups. A functional group is a collection of atoms in a molecule that participate together in a characteristic reaction