Cholesterol: the good and the bad
Published: March 18, 2022
Cholesterol has come to be considered a nutrient to be avoided because of its negative association with heart disease.
- Vitamin D required for calcium absorption, bone mineralization, and may be involved in;
- Bile acids which are required for digestion of fats and lipids
- Adrenal hormones such as:
- Steroid sex hormones such as, testosterone, estrogen and progesterone which are key to reproduction and expression of male and female characteristics
- HDL (high density lipoproteins) and LDL (low density lipoproteins)
As well as forming the basis of these compounds cholesterol is a necessary component of cell membranes which accounts for about 90% of all of you body cholesterol.