Fish oil supplements or 2 servings of fish?
Published: August 11, 2017
Fish oil supplements belong to an ever growing body of complementary and alternative medicine therapies the use of which has steadily risen over the past few decades.
- Fish are leaner than meat and low in saturated fat (associated with increased risk of heart disease)
- Fish contain many vitamins and minerals necessary for health
- Fish, particularly oily fish, are rich in omega-3 fatty acids which have been identified as being beneficial to health
Consumption of omega-3 fatty acids appears to be associated with:
- Lower blood levels of triglycerides (high levels are associated with increased risk of heart disease)
- Prevention of blood clots
- Reduced risk of sudden death associated with cardiovascular disease
- Prevention of irregular heart beat
- Lower blood pressure (high blood pressure increases your risk of stroke and heart disease)
- Protection against macular degeneration
Fatty fish are particularly rich...click here to link to the full article.